Being overweight or obese leads to a wide range of negative health consequences. Unfortunately, obesity rates have significantly increased over recent decades. To help you stay educated on the epidemic, here are 10 need-to-know facts about obesity.
1. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention defines obesity as a BMI of 30 or higher. Find out your BMI here.
2. Obesity is linked to over 60 diseases and health problems, including:
- Joint Pain
- Fertility issues
- Breathing problems
- Heart disease
2. Global obesity has nearly doubled since 1980.
3. Obesity is the fifth leading risk for worldwide deaths.
4. 1 in 6 children in the United States is obese.
5. People with obesity spend almost $1,500 more in medical costs than people with a healthy weight.
6. Obesity is most common in middle age.
7. Colorado has the lowest obesity rates. Hawaii, Washington, Massachusetts, and California are right behind Colorado in low obesity rates.
8. Americans eat 23% more calories than we did 50 years ago.
9. Individuals who are obese miss 56% more work than people with a healthy weight.
10. The risk of diabetes is 93 times greater if your BMI is 30 or higher.
What is Medical Weight Loss?
Medical weight loss focuses on scientific evidence to target the root cause of obesity and weight gain. Rather than promoting unhealthy diet fads or diet pills, we’ll help you come up with a manageable and sustainable health plan.
Schedule a Medical Weight Loss Consultation Today
Our clinic is proud to be an independent healthcare provider in Utah. When you come to see us, you won’t feel like just a patient being passed through a system. Instead, we’ll act as your personal health coach. Our small and nimble team has years of experience helping patients who are overweight or obese. Schedule your medical weight loss consultation today!